How to survive coronavirus and thrive in 2020
How to survive the coronavirus outbreak and thrive? The decade began with such promise in the air and now here we are in March 2020 in the midst of the Coronavirus Global Pandemic. I hope you are reading this in good health and if you are affected by the Covid-19 virus, I wish you a speedy recovery.
I’m not a doctor; this is not the place for medical advice.
However, I do have some ideas for you if you’re interested in making the best of things during these months in 2020 when everything is looking so bleak on TV and social media.
swot to survive coronavirus and thrive
I’m not talking about cramming for an extra qualification – although that may be a perfectly viable use of your time while you’re self-isolating and trying to survive coronavirus.
No, I’m talking about dusting off that old exercise, the SWOT Analysis. Arguably, if more of us had done this last year, we would be in a stronger position now but we can’t turn back the clock so we might as well deal with what we can in the here and now.
SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.
If we can identify our strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats during this period, I believe we may actually survive coronavirus and thrive in our professional lives.
Here are some questions to ask yourself, in order to complete your own SWOT Analysis:
- What are your personal & professional strengths?
- What are the strengths of your business?
- What are the strengths of your industry?
- How can you use these strengths to help others: not just your family, friends and neighbours but also, your clients, associates, colleagues, customers and prospects?
- What are your personal and professional weaknesses?
- What are the weaknesses that you recognise in your business?
- Is your industry displaying weaknesses that weren’t recognised before the coronavirus crisis?
- If *weaknesses are simply strengths in the wrong environment, how can they be flipped into something more positive?
- How can your weaknesses become strengths that will help you to survive coronavirus and thrive?
- What opportunities are there for you and your business right now?
- If you’ve had to modify behaviour, how can you build on this so that you are stronger in the end?
- What can you do in your home environment to make things easier for you?
- What are the things that you have been putting off, that you could now get done?
- What products or services can you create / develop to help others to survive coronavirus and thrive in the future?
- What is the biggest threat to you or your business, right now?
- What is one thing that you can do today, to mitigate that threat?
- Make a list of all the other threats to your business that you can think of and arrange them in order of their likely ocurrence.
- Write down one simple thing you can do or put in place that would mitigate each of these threats.
- Facing the potential reality of these threats and planning for them, may help you to survive coronavirus and thrive in the months to come.
After Analysis comes action
Completing a SWOT Analysis is only a worthwhile exercise if it leads to you taking action. One great thing about the coronavirus pandemic happening in 2020 is that we are all so well-connected via the internet. We may have to self-isolate in the physical sense but we don’t have to be alone. We can keep in touch with people in so many ways, online.
We can get our messages of hope and positivity out through blogs, facebook groups and LinkedIn. We can gain new skills and qualifications through online courses. We can access the support we need, face-to-face, through zoom calls, skype and facetime.
As more people are forced to work from home due to the Coronavirus outbreak, so companies will realise how productive that can actually be! That’s a breakthrough for everyone who has been campaigning for flexible working for all these years!
So, we all have a choice in these challenging times. We can metaphorically take to our beds and succomb to the crisis. Or we can do something positive with this time. We can survive coronavirus and thrive if we all work together. What will you do?
Opportunities for Success during Coronavirus
- Take care of yourself first then…
- Think of others and what you can do for them.
- Seek help when you need it – including professional advice.
- Learn something new – online skills and/or practical ones.
- Put robust plans in place.
- Focus on the positives.
- Heed the advice of medical professionals.
- Complete a cost audit and save some cash.
- Consider your investments.
- Socialise online with fabulous people.
- Know that this time will pass.
- Invest in coaching now and thrive in the future.
Career and business coaching can really help during times of uncertainty. And, if you are working from home, it’s even easier to fit in your online sessions. Schedule your session now and let’s survive coronavirus and thrive! I believe we can still make 2020 your best year yet.
Here’s a link, especially for you, to book an hour, completely free, with me. It’s what I call your Career Clarity Session.
It’s an opportunity to press “Pause” and really focus on the way ahead. It could be the most important hour you’ve ever invested in yourself!
Please let me know if you have any questions about this post. You can comment below or email me direct.
In the meantime, please also subscribe to receive my monthly(ish) newsletter: Dream Job News & Tips.
Book your FREE Career Clarity Session with Louise by clicking the button below.
Copyright: Louise Jenner, 2020.
* A lovely quote by one of my favourite authors, Marianne Cantwell.